DDY Talk

Hersheypark 7/15/2012

Ron

The show (free with park admission) was a bit unique. It was actually two separate shows, at 4:00 and at 6:30, each lasting about an hour. They had to assume that there would be different people at each show when creating the set list. I would guess that about 50-60% of the crowd went to both shows. There were also a large number of people that attended because Dennis was there--wearing their Styx t-shirts or hoping to get things signed. But with treating each show as its own unique entity, there were some songs duplicated between the two sets:

The Duplicates

Lady

Mr. Roboto

Babe

Renegade

Come Sail Away

(honestly, if you went to a show, you would expect to hear these songs, and be pissed if you didn't)

The Omissions (from his current "normal" 2-hour show set list)

Don't Let it End

Show Me the Way

Desert Moon

Born for Adventure

4:00 Show

Grand Illusion

Lorelei

Blue Collar Man

Best of Times/AD 1958/The End

6:30 Show

AD 1928/Rockin' the Paradise

Too Much Time

Fooling Yourself

Suite Madame Blue

The on stage energy level is absolutely amazing. The band really works well together and it shows (or they do a really good job of hiding that they hate each others guts). The sound and performances have even improved from one year ago. Two musical highlights:

The keyboard playing that Dennis did before "Blue Collar Man" has grown to the point of the entire band coming in and joining him. It sounds really good.

Tom Sharpe using a rainstick during "Suite Madame Blue" (a rainstick [simply] is a long cylindrical tube with beads inside of it. You play it by slowly tipping the one end to the other, and the beads give the illusion of rain. It has a South American origin). The subtle effect this has greatly improves the sound of the beginning of the song, without being in-your-face (ie There is a quiet part in the song here so I need to play something), something that unfortunately too many drummers do. What Tom does works so well that listening to the original studio version makes you feel like you are missing something.

I heard many people talking before the show about how they knew maybe "one or two" Styx songs. However they all seemed energized and that they recognized a lot of the songs once they were performed. The crowd was as receptive as an audience at a show where they paid just to see Dennis. Those that were there just because they happened to chose that day to go to Hersheypark enjoyed themselves just as much.

It was a real intimate venue, and Dennis even came down off the stage to do "robot" moves with some 10-year-old girls at the front of the stage during Mr. Roboto. But it was a mad dash after the second show, as severe thunderstorms were moving into the area. Unfortunately, I got soaked. But it was a fun day anyway,.

• Like 1

Oh darn! i had no clue he was playing there, im only an hour away.

quick question, im going to see him november 5th, then taking a trip to disney to see him the 7th and 8th, if i record these shows am i able to upload them to youtube to share with everyone? I want to make sure im not missing some obvious legal snag that will get me in trouble haha.

The show (free with park admission) was a bit unique. It was actually two separate shows, at 4:00 and at 6:30, each lasting about an hour. They had to assume that there would be different people at each show when creating the set list. I would guess that about 50-60% of the crowd went to both shows. There were also a large number of people that attended because Dennis was there--wearing their Styx t-shirts or hoping to get things signed. But with treating each show as its own unique entity, there were some songs duplicated between the two sets:

The Duplicates

Lady

Mr. Roboto

Babe

Renegade

Come Sail Away

(honestly, if you went to a show, you would expect to hear these songs, and be pissed if you didn't)

The Omissions (from his current "normal" 2-hour show set list)

Don't Let it End

Show Me the Way

Desert Moon

Born for Adventure

4:00 Show

Grand Illusion

Lorelei

Blue Collar Man

Best of Times/AD 1958/The End

6:30 Show

AD 1928/Rockin' the Paradise

Too Much Time

Fooling Yourself

Suite Madame Blue

The on stage energy level is absolutely amazing. The band really works well together and it shows (or they do a really good job of hiding that they hate each others guts). The sound and performances have even improved from one year ago. Two musical highlights:

The keyboard playing that Dennis did before "Blue Collar Man" has grown to the point of the entire band coming in and joining him. It sounds really good.

Tom Sharpe using a rainstick during "Suite Madame Blue" (a rainstick [simply] is a long cylindrical tube with beads inside of it. You play it by slowly tipping the one end to the other, and the beads give the illusion of rain. It has a South American origin). The subtle effect this has greatly improves the sound of the beginning of the song, without being in-your-face (ie There is a quiet part in the song here so I need to play something), something that unfortunately too many drummers do. What Tom does works so well that listening to the original studio version makes you feel like you are missing something.

I heard many people talking before the show about how they knew maybe "one or two" Styx songs. However they all seemed energized and that they recognized a lot of the songs once they were performed. The crowd was as receptive as an audience at a show where they paid just to see Dennis. Those that were there just because they happened to chose that day to go to Hersheypark enjoyed themselves just as much.

It was a real intimate venue, and Dennis even came down off the stage to do "robot" moves with some 10-year-old girls at the front of the stage during Mr. Roboto. But it was a mad dash after the second show, as severe thunderstorms were moving into the area. Unfortunately, I got soaked. But it was a fun day anyway,.

Thanks for the review Ron. i think he should have left BFA in. That sounds so killer live.