DDY Talk

Place Des Arts, Montreal, April 8, 2011

mtlfan

Now THAT was a show!!!!! Like Zoltan says, HOLY CRAP!!!

Dennis is definitely feeling up to his old self again. He was bouncing so much I was wondering if he had installed springs in his shoes. The top notch show that we know and love is BACK and with a vengeance! They ROCKED the PDA tonight and have all earned a good night's sleep.

Dennis' voice was 98% back. A couple of times he seemed out of breath but that could have been because he never stopped moving all night! The undertones and timbre we've gotten used to from Dennis were all there; I was so glad to see him feeling well after getting that flu from heck. His ol' corny jokes and bombastic arm movements leading the band were front and center and he gave it his all tonight. He was really looking good in a shirt and tie and jean jacket.

Let's see what I can remember that was funny/interesting. We got the extra treat of the bilingual 100 Years from Now with Jean Ravel. Yes, he did slip in Sing for the Day into Fooling Yourself and gave us a whopper of an intro to Too Much Time on My Hands. During Rockin' the Paradise, he goes over to John, who is busy with foot pedals (I think) and pushes the bottom of John's jeans up to his knee! Maybe so John can see his foot better??? John managed to not miss a beat despite being fairly amused!! I think I got a few shots of him still smiling.

After Babe, Dennis introduced Suzanne and gave her the customary hug and she gave him the customary "bottom" squeeze, and I hope that Suzanne doesn't understand French because he alluded to her age to the audience! Yikes! Dangerous stuff Dennis!!! He then reached for his water bottle, which was empty and Suzanne immediately got him another one to which the audience said, "Awwwww ...."

During the August/Jimmy guitar duel, it looked all he world like August playfully ran up to Jimmy's guitar footpedals and pressed a random one just to get Jimmy's guitar to do something unexpected and get his attention and win the duel. But nope, I found out later from August that one of the footpedal boards was kaput so they had to share one!!! I certainly couldn't tell.

Craig's backup vocals are amazing. He must now be wearing the tight thong that Dennis always jokes about.

They did have a few audio problems that were quickly looked after. It didn't take long for a roadie to fix whatever needed to be done. I did find that Dennis' concerts are louder than they used to be. But, I would expect that considering the chemistry between Jimmy and August. I thought it was just me at first but the same thing was said to me by someone else. Or maybe I'm just getting old ...

Anyway! I'll have some pics to upload for y'all later this weekend. I've got some vids too, in particular the audience reaction to Suite Madame Blue (Yes, Ron, I know!!!!). It didn't take long for the audience to get on it's feet and he received a standing ovation, of course.

Oh yeah, after the show, I finally got to meet Craig! He gave me his setlist and I got his autograph, as well as Tom, John and August. Geof and I got to talk to Craig, August, Tom, Jimmy and John. Tom wanted to know when the "big day" was and after I told him, Geof asked him if the band was busy that day. LOL!

Bedtime, it's almost 1 a.m. But I wanted to get this all down before it leaked out of my brain. If I remember anything else, I'll add later!

Amanda

Yes, he did slip in Sing for the Day into Fooling Yourself and gave us a whopper of an intro to Too Much Time on My Hands.

Sorry! That would be the intro to Blue Collar Man. My bad.

AND it was so great to see Zoltan again! I was finally able to introduce him to Geof.

A few things came to me while I was sleeping.

After a particularly lively song (Rockin' the Paradise, I think) Dennis put his hand up to his mouth to look like he was breathing from an oxygen mask. I'm telling you, he never stopped bouncing!! You'll see in the vids later.

During the guitar duel, Jimmy grabbed the mic stand and slid it across his guitar strings up the fretboard rather than use his pick. It works!

I mentioned this to Tom after the show, but every once in a while, I would notice a round reflection moving across the left wall and I couldn't figure out what it was. During the encore, I realized it was the reflection off of Tom's cymbals! I have no idea how he manages to keep up - he says it's pure adrenaline. He works hard for his art - I'm exhausted just watching him!

Both August and Craig mentioned after the show what a nice venue the PDA was. Other than the new hall being built for the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, it's one of the best. Musicians certainly appreciate it. Usually the PDA staff usher everyone out right away, but because of two intrepid staffers who stayed behind, we got to talk to the guys afterward. I gave them a nice French thank you as we were leaving and they almost seemed embarrassed. Does no one say thank you anymore??? (Sorry, that was my MOM side coming out!)

Oh, and August was wearing a very nice scarf done in the French style. Dennis pointed it out at the show. LOL! That boy gets such a workout at a concert if you see him when the show is over, he's trembling from the exertion. He was tucking into a bottle of water and a chocolate chip cookie when he came out. My kind of post concert meal!!!

Gotta run, but if I can think of anything else, well, you know.

Ta!

Thanks, Amanda. What a nice little pre-wedding gift to you and Geof to get to see this concert.

Did they have a good crowd? I know this venue has been kind to him before with several sold out concerts.

Looking forward to the pics and vids, of course.

Amanda said that DDY had some spring in his step up in maple leaf land... It's those Canadians... He loves them, and they love him... it must be a french thing... I must say, I'm glad Canada is our neighbor. Just a wonderful culture of folks... even though they border the 800lb gorilla to the south they have always been thier own peeps... Rock on Canada!!

AND it was so great to see Zoltan again! I was finally able to introduce him to Geof.

It was great seeing you too. Been too long. Was very happy to meet Geof too. Am so happy for both of you...As for the concert--Holy Crap!!! (lol) You said it all...awesome show and yes Dennis was in fine form. My ears are still buzzing!!!

Amanda said that DDY had some spring in his step up in maple leaf land... It's those Canadians... He loves them, and they love him... it must be a french thing... I must say, I'm glad Canada is our neighbor. Just a wonderful culture of folks... even though they border the 800lb gorilla to the south they have always been thier own peeps... Rock on Canada!!

You know .... You might be on to something. Maybe someone hepped up DDY on Maple Sugar!!! Pure speculation, of course ....

We love our visitors/neighbours too. :-)

Thanks, Amanda. What a nice little pre-wedding gift to you and Geof to get to see this concert.

Did they have a good crowd? I know this venue has been kind to him before with several sold out concerts.

Looking forward to the pics and vids, of course.

Uploading pics and vids to Facebook first and then I'll put them up here. The venue was mostly sold out. There were a few empty seats here and there, but I would think those are people who couldn't make it to the show (sick, work, etc.) rather than unsold seats. The place was pretty well packed. Good crowd? DDY in Montreal? Are you kidding? Absolutely!! You'll see the reaction of the crowd during SMB when I get the vid up. The crowd was on their feet before the song was over.

It was great seeing you too. Been too long. Was very happy to meet Geof too. Am so happy for both of you...As for the concert--Holy Crap!!! (lol) You said it all...awesome show and yes Dennis was in fine form. My ears are still buzzing!!!

It took me at least two hours to wind down to get to sleep. Can't complain though, I only had to drive 10 minutes to get home rather than 7 hours!

Uploading pics and vids to Facebook first and then I'll put them up here. The venue was mostly sold out. There were a few empty seats here and there, but I would think those are people who couldn't make it to the show (sick, work, etc.) rather than unsold seats. The place was pretty well packed. Good crowd? DDY in Montreal? Are you kidding? Absolutely!! You'll see the reaction of the crowd during SMB when I get the vid up. The crowd was on their feet before the song was over.

I'm officially having problems uploading pics onto the board. Ron already knows about it so I'll wait until he gets that worked out before doing the uploads.