DDY Talk

Interview with Classic rock Revisited

Boomchild

Very good read.  One answer that stood out to me was about the die hard fans and "new" music:

Let’s face it, everybody knows what the Styx songs sound like and it is my responsibility, in my opinion, to give them that.  People say they want new music, but then they don’t go buy it, so it is all bullshit as far as I am concerned.  The diehards will buy it and I appreciate them.  I tell them when I meet them, “Thanks a lot.  Now go away because I can’t have a career based on you.”  They don’t want to hear that and they think I am arrogant, but it’s true.  We all want to be masters of our own domain.  We want to do whatever comes to our mind creatively, but there is a thing called ‘an audience’.  You know what you call a band without an audience?  You call them ‘homeless.’ 

As insulting as it may seem, he is right. Die hards will buy the tickets/albums no matter what. But they are a small percentage. To attract a bigger audience, you need to appeal to the masses. And for an artist in the stage of their career like Dennis is, that means playing the hits. Do I want to hear some of the other gems that aren't as popular? Do I think that any new song could be just as relevant as the songs he wrote 40 years ago? You bet. But that isn't going to sell tickets. The casual fan--those that like the hits--they are the ones that you need to target to generate sales.

While I do recognize this, I still wish a different song or two would get thrown into the set list to keep a little bit of a variety for those of us that see multiple shows a year

I didn't take his comment as insulting at all. I took it as realistic and wanting you to look at things from his perspective.  It's got to be hard when an artist would like to put out new music but knows that by an large people aren't looking for that from you. It's a shame that the general public is that narrow minded.