DDY Talk

What were you doing on 7/7/77 when GI was released?

mtlfan

This is an interesting question that was asked on another board. The answers are very interesting!

For me personally, I was 13 years old probably babysitting one of my million cousins (Catholic family - what can I say?) and saving my babysitting money to buy 45's. :-)

• Like 1

I was 10 and inbetween 4th and 5th grade. Don't remember much. I had a great childhood and do remember loving Come Sail Away but didn't realize it was Styx until I heard Paradise Theater blasting through my brother's bedroom wall a few years later and had to know who the hell that band was. That's what started it for me. Then I learned all these other great songs I had known were in fact this great band called Styx. I used to think that the rest of the band must think it is awesome to work with this Dennis Deyoung guy! Welcome to the Grand Illusion!

Well I was 13 going on 14 that summer. July 7 was a Thursday that year and it was one of those hot summer days that I would lounge around, as I did just about every day that summer, and listen to my transistor radio listening to, what was at the time the top AM radio station in Montreal, CKGM. Man, you could not get that radio away from me back then. I had a knack of always winning prizes off that radio station and back then there was no such thing as waiting 90 days between winnings. I actually won my first copy of Grand Illusion from that radio station. Of course I wore the LP out that I had to purchase a new one. I won many LP's from that station and Grand Illusion was an LP that I won only once. The LP that I won most was another big LP from that year. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. I won that LP at least 10 times. Those were some good times. :)

Edited by markir

I was 10 and inbetween 4th and 5th grade. Don't remember much. I had a great childhood and do remember loving Come Sail Away but didn't realize it was Styx until I heard Paradise Theater blasting through my brother's bedroom wall a few years later and had to know who the hell that band was. That's what started it for me. Then I learned all these other great songs I had known were in fact this great band called Styx. I used to think that the rest of the band must think it is awesome to work with this Dennis Deyoung guy! Welcome to the Grand Illusion!

I used to blast my sister right out of the bedroom we shared. I'm surprised my sister didn't grow up deaf! My high school buddies still think of me when they hear a Styx song. :-)

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I was 10. I remember my brother having the Grand Illusion Poster on his wall in his bedroom (I now possess that poster, which is UP in one of our rooms now...heh) and I remember thinking Tommy Shaw looked like a girl.

It wasn't until Paradise Theater that I fully became the Stygian I am now. And yes...it was Dennis' "The Best of Times" that got me, not Tommy. I loved his voice, his musicianship, and thought he was kinda cute too. Then I went and discovered all their other recordings and REALLY fell for them. Freaking outstanding music and singing. Have YET to hear a band that can sing like they did, and yes, this includes Queen.Hehehe

• 3 weeks later...
I was 10. I remember my brother having the Grand Illusion Poster on his wall in his bedroom (I now possess that poster, which is UP in one of our rooms now...heh) and I remember thinking Tommy Shaw looked like a girl.

It wasn't until Paradise Theater that I fully became the Stygian I am now. And yes...it was Dennis' "The Best of Times" that got me, not Tommy. I loved his voice, his musicianship, and thought he was kinda cute too. Then I went and discovered all their other recordings and REALLY fell for them. Freaking outstanding music and singing. Have YET to hear a band that can sing like they did, and yes, this includes Queen.Hehehe

The late 70s Tommy Shaw was very feminine looking - Cornerstone...Grand Illusion...and how about the Dutch Boy do for Paradise Theatre...

Wish I knew what I was doing! Probably involved in showing one of my, or my friend's, horses. I did that a lot in the 70's. I remember hearing GI on the radio on a rock station out of Houston, 101. They would play entire albums and I heard GI on that station, I know, plus they played CSA, the album cut, on there as well.

I am not sure when I bought it, but probably around that time.

Tho' I saw a lot of cool rock acts in my day, I never got to see the REAL Styx live in concert, unfortunately.

Wish I knew what I was doing! Probably involved in showing one of my, or my friend's, horses. I did that a lot in the 70's. I remember hearing GI on the radio on a rock station out of Houston, 101. They would play entire albums and I heard GI on that station, I know, plus they played CSA, the album cut, on there as well.

I am not sure when I bought it, but probably around that time.

Tho' I saw a lot of cool rock acts in my day, I never got to see the REAL Styx live in concert, unfortunately.

Don't feel bad Kathy. I only got to see the "Kilroy" tour. It's not the tour I would have picked if I knew then what I know now. But back in 1978, during their Main Event tour (the one I would have loved to see), I was only 11.

Oh well.