DDY Talk

Howdy

ReciprocityTM

Hello. ReciprocityTM here.

My Intro: So, I am doing some shopping on Amazon a couple weeks ago and am cleaning up my “recommendations” list to keep it from reflecting all the random stuff I bought people for Christmas. I got it cleaned up and lo and behold Caught in the Act is now on DVD and Amazon thinks I might want it! I ordered it, of course. As soon as I added it to my cart, I got a “people buying this item also buy…” and I found there was a new book on Styx, an unauthorized history! As soon as I added that to my cart, I got another “people buying this item also buy…” and it turns out Dennis has a new album out! A Styx Bonanza!

I got the shipment a couple days later and quickly watched the video (I do have the VHS version, but the extra videos were nice), read the book, and listened to the CD- in that order. The book was great and helped me learn more about the band, especially the early days before A&M.

Reading the book, there were several quotes from Andie Denny, who I remember from my early Styx internet days on the original Styx mailing list I signed up for back around 1995. Her quotes about the breakup of the band (version 1999) really hit home and reflected exactly how I felt at the time. The whole Behind the Music issue has scarred me since the night I saw it premier. So, I thought I might see what the internet scene for all things Styx-related was going.

I found this site and a couple others. I was pretty active with Styx on the net until maybe 2000 or so. One could find me on the Styxchat on IRC almost every night for a while. A lot of people are still using the same names, so I “recognized” quite a few people.

Finally, I went over to Dennis’ site and clicked on the “concerts” link not really thinking there would be a show anytime soon or one I could make it to. It turned out that Dennis was doing a show in Clearwater, where a friend of mine lives. This happens to be the friend who went with me to the show in 1996. I ended up flying down there from NC and going to the show with him and his girlfriend.

I’m not much of an entertainment reviewer and there are a lot of reviews of the different shows already, so I don’t necessarily have much useful to say. I will say that Dennis’ show was MUCH better than the non-Dennis “Styx” show I saw a few years back. It was great to see stuff like Castle Walls and Roboto that they didn’t play then I saw the real Styx play back in 1996. Dennis sounded great and did all his normal goofy stuff. He looked good in the suit and I was glad he wasn’t wearing that striped “pirate” shirt, or anything like it, from the 96 tour. It was a song or two shorter than I expected. I was especially disappointed he didn’t do Desert Moon. Just that one more song would have made the set perfect.

I truly believe “Styx” is defined by Dennis AND Tommy AND JY, but if I can’t get that, I’ll take a Dennis show every time. Actually, a Dennis and Tommy show might be nice, but JY is dead to me. He can kiss my Robutto. I’d gladly miss out on the handful of songs of his I like to see and buy an album from a Dennis/Tommy Styx .

Thanks for this site. It is well-done. Balin’s old “Equal Time for Dennis Concern” site was great back in the day when he maintained it. I’m glad someone took the torch and put up another Dennis site.

Recip

Hello

Glad you joined, and that you have caught up on all of the new Styx and DeYoung-related material available. There's more to come in 2008, and I'm sure everyone here will be talking about it. We're all a friendly bunch here, so feel free to join right in with anything you wish.

Ron