DDY Talk

DDY in Sainte Perpetue, Quebec, 07/08/10

mtlfan

I've been working on uploading videos and pictures on YouTube and Facebook. I'll upload pics and video stills here as soon as I'm done and then give you the lowdown on the concert. I have to say one thing though, only in Quebec do you have to endure watching people in pristine white jumpsuits trying to catch a greased pig and then dump the poor animal in a box in the middle of an arena on the big screen while waiting for a concert to start. Yeeesh!

I've been working on uploading videos and pictures on YouTube and Facebook. I'll upload pics and video stills here as soon as I'm done and then give you the lowdown on the concert. I have to say one thing though, only in Quebec do you have to endure watching people in pristine white jumpsuits trying to catch a greased pig and then dump the poor animal in a box in the middle of an arena on the big screen while waiting for a concert to start. Yeeesh!

Are you sure you didn't mistake Gowan for that pig? =))

Are you sure you didn't mistake Gowan for that pig? =))

ZING!!

Pics are up in the gallery. Vids to come!

LOL to the pig!

Looking forward to your review, Amanda. Someone uploaded a really nice rendition of "100 Years FN" on YouTube. At least you folks in Canada get treated to a song from his album. :dry:

I saw that video. It was very well done! I understand that the guest singer is opera trained and is a friend of August Zadra's. All I can say about this artist is that I think he must have been really, really nervous and he really looked uncomfortable and didn't know what to do with himself up there. 'Nuff said.

But yes, we always get "100 Years FN" up here because it was a #1 hit on the french charts. :-)

Watched the video of SMTW. That song is 100 times better with full instruments.

So, do we get a review of the show?

Oh yeah, definitely better with full instruments. It was wonderful to hear.

My review is below. Apologies for the delay.

DDY Show, Sainte Perpetue, Quebec, August 7, 2010

I know, I know, I'm really slow with my review. Seems like every time this week I've gone to sit at my computer, something distracted me. I'm getting to be as bad as my teenager. I'm actually home tonight only because I tried to make nice with my boyfriend's skittish siamese cat and my allergies are all over the map. But she doesn't seem to be allergic to me ....

Now, where was I? OH yeah. Review.

It wasn't one of the best concerts I've seen, but it wasn't one of the worst. I thought that Dennis seemed tired and his voice reflected that. Not his usual strong presentation, but unless you've been to 15 or so concerts like I have, you wouldn't necessarily notice. I know he had been in Rouyn Noranda the day before and it must have been a long day because Rouyn Noranda is an 8 hour drive or a 1 hour flight from Montreal. The only thing further North than Rouyn Noranda is the ALERT military base, Inuit and penguins (no, not the hockey team). As the concert went on, Dennis seemed to get more tired and it was fairly apparent during Suite Madame Blue, the second to last song in the (Canadian) set list. This is the reason why I didn't post the video I have of the entirety of SMB anywhere.

And it was COLD that night and I don't get cold easily. Three weeks of heat wave and the day Dennis steps into Canada, wham! By the time the concert started at 9:30 p.m., it was 12 degrees Celcius (54 degrees F for my 'Merican friends". After the third song or so, Dennis came up to the front of the stage, pointed to his nose and said in bad French, "It's cold here. My nose is cold". Everybody clearly understood what he said, incorrect use of gender aside, because our noses were cold too!

I can't say how many people stayed for the concert after the, ahem, greased pig contest, but the area set out for fans was packed. The fans seemed subdued, though. Appreciative, but subdued. Must have been the cold.

This is the first time I got to see Tom Sharpe and Craig Carter play and they were really tight. Dennis wasn't kidding when he said that Craig sings like a bird. You could clearly hear his high background vocals that blended right in.

John was his regular cool as a cucumber self except that in all the shows I've seen he's worn a white shirt. But this last time, he wore, gasp, a BLACK shirt!! He never misses a note either.

Jimmy and August really gave my camera a hard time. They wouldn't stand still long enough for me to take a shot, except when they had to sing. August later told me that life was too short to stand still. Yeah, yeah. Anyway, those two were having much fun up there. August, as you already all know, can really belt out a song! Very, very

impressive. August was very careful to reproduce the old Styx sound with his guitar but Jimmy, having been with the band longer, took more of an artistic license with the notes and gave us his own special version. Personally, I prefer the more accurate version, but I can be an anal purist fusspot when I want to be. I found the overall guitar sound rather fuzzy, but in their defence, it's very difficult to get a clear sound in an outdoor venue.

We got to hear the Canadian version of One Hundred Years From Now with a special guest. Apparently he is a friend of August's and he is originally from Montreal. Me and three of my friends who were there did not like his performance at all; I think he was just too nervous.

At one point during the concert poor Dennis came over to my side of the stage and stepped at the very edge only to have one of the stationary spotlight beams shine right in his eyes. He did this "wow, that's bright" gesture and backed up a bit. Poor fella.

Definitely more of a Styx show than Styx. They still have a few minor glitches to smooth over which will take care of itself once they've been together longer. Still, I miss the old sound and the songs taken off of the set list. Dennis was beginning to incorporate some of his last CD's songs into his setlist but that seems to be history now. I'll still go to as many shows as I can regardless.

Oh, and the best thing? I've converted my boyfriend to a fan. Dennis et al make that job easy. B)

OH! And,

We got to meet August, Jimmy and Tom after the concert. Three very sweet, nice, personable guys!!