DDY Talk

80's Trivia Contest

Ron

In The News

1. John Hinckley did this on March 30, 1981. The aftermath resulted in legislation known as “The Brady Bill” named after Jim Brady.

2. December 7th may be “A date that will live in infamy” but what happened on December 8th 1980 sunk more than a yellow submarine.

3. Christa McAuliffe was to be the first civilian in space, but the events of January 28, 1986 changed this.

4. The news of this event exploded into the headlines on May 18, 1980

5. When this accident happened on April 26, 1986 in the Ukraine, U.S.S.R, there was global concern of radiation contamination.

Music

6. This album was released on December 1, 1982 and became the best selling album of all time worldwide with over 50 million copies sold.

7. Hop off the bus, Gus. This duo performed a free concert in New York’s Central Park on September 19, 1981 for 500,000 people.

8. He was Dr. Noah Drake on General Hospital before making it big on the charts.

9. On August 1, 1981 MTV debuts. What was the first video (title and artist) that aired?

10. On September 7th, 1982, this musical began its 18-year run on Broadway.

Movies

11. This 1985 movie starred Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt, and was inspired by a song by Cyndi Lauper

12. In this 1988 movie Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carry, and Damon Wayans are aliens that “drop in” on Geena Davis. Specifically, in her pool.

13. Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis based their moose characters Rutt and Tuke from 2003’s Brother Bear on their SCTV characters Bob and Doug McKenzie. This is their 1983 movie.

14. This 1989 movie was the first Disney film since Bedknobs and Broomsticks to receive and Academy Award. It was also the last animated feature to use 100% hand painted cells and analog camera and film work.

15. Don’t howl if you can’t remember the title to this 1985 movie starring Michael J. Fox—and I don’t mean Back to the Future.

Television

16. Kristin did it on March 21st, 1980, but didn’t confess until November 21st, leaving the entire world to wonder ____________________?

17. If this alien crashed his spaceship into your garage in 1986, you would have to hide your cat.

18. This series that ran from 1986-1989 was loosely based on William Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew. In fact, one of the episodes was The Taming of the Shrew. Even John McClain can figure this one out.

19. Spun off from The Cosby Show in 1987, this series starred Lisa Bonet; but she left the series after one season due to pregnancy, and the series made Jasmine Guy a star.

20. Harry Anderson starred in this 1984-1992 series as a judge that loved tricks and magic—and Mel Tormé.

NOTE: I have moderation options turned ON for this forum, so you can post your answers but no one will see them until I allow it to be visible so others can give it a try without looking at your answers.

Ron

1 . He shot both President Reagan and James Brady.

2. John Lennon was killed by a deranged fan.

3. The Space Shuttle Challenger exploded only moments after take off. .

4. Mt. St. Helens in Washington state erupted.

5.The Chernobyl Nuclear Plant in the Ukraine had a nuclear meltdown .

6. "Thriller" by Michael Jackson.

7. Simon and Garfunkel.

8. Rick Springfield.

9." Video Killed The Radio Star" By The Buggles.

10. Cats.

11. "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

12. "Earth Girls Are Easy".

13. "The Great White North" (?).

14. "Aladdin"

15. "Teen Wolf"

16 She shot JR.

17. ALF

18. ?

19. "A Different World".

20. "Night Court

Robin :ph34r:

In The News

1. John Hinckley did this on March 30, 1981. The aftermath resulted in legislation known as “The Brady Bill” named after Jim Brady.

Attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan

2. December 7th may be “A date that will live in infamy” but what happened on December 8th 1980 sunk more than a yellow submarine.

Assassination of John Lennon

3. Christa McAuliffe was to be the first civilian in space, but the events of January 28, 1986 changed this.

Explosion of Space Shuttle Challenger

4. The news of this event exploded into the headlines on May 18, 1980

The eruption of Mt. St. Helens

5. When this accident happened on April 26, 1986 in the Ukraine, U.S.S.R, there was global concern of radiation contamination.

The Chernobyl disaster

Music

6. This album was released on December 1, 1982 and became the best selling album of all time worldwide with over 50 million copies sold.

Jackson's "Thriller"

7. Hop off the bus, Gus. This duo performed a free concert in New York’s Central Park on September 19, 1981 for 500,000 people.

Simon & Garfunkel

8. He was Dr. Noah Drake on General Hospital before making it big on the charts.

Rick Springfield

9. On August 1, 1981 MTV debuts. What was the first video (title and artist) that aired?

"Video killed the Radio Star" The Buggles

10. On September 7th, 1982, this musical began its 18-year run on Broadway.

Cats

Movies

11. This 1985 movie starred Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt, and was inspired by a song by Cyndi Lauper

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun"

12. In this 1988 movie Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carry, and Damon Wayans are aliens that “drop in” on Geena Davis. Specifically, in her pool.

"Earth Girls are Easy"

13. Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis based their moose characters Rutt and Tuke from 2003’s Brother Bear on their SCTV characters Bob and Doug McKenzie. This is their 1983 movie.

"Strange Brew"

14. This 1989 movie was the first Disney film since Bedknobs and Broomsticks to receive and Academy Award. It was also the last animated feature to use 100% hand painted cells and analog camera and film work.

The Little Mermaid

15. Don’t howl if you can’t remember the title to this 1985 movie starring Michael J. Fox—and I don’t mean Back to the Future.

Teen Wolf

Television

16. Kristin did it on March 21st, 1980, but didn’t confess until November 21st, leaving the entire world to wonder ____________________?

("Who) Shot JR(?")

17. If this alien crashed his spaceship into your garage in 1986, you would have to hide your cat.

A.L.F.

18. This series that ran from 1986-1989 was loosely based on William Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew. In fact, one of the episodes was The Taming of the Shrew. Even John McClain can figure this one out.

Moonlighting, which by the way started in 1985

19. Spun off from The Cosby Show in 1987, this series starred Lisa Bonet; but she left the series after one season due to pregnancy, and the series made Jasmine Guy a star.

A Different World

20. Harry Anderson starred in this 1984-1992 series as a judge that loved tricks and magic—and Mel Tormé.

Night Court

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot about this. I hope everyone that looked at it tried some of the answers and enjoyed themselves.

Ron

BTW Terri Wikipedia had Moonlighting listed as starting in 1986. I couldn't have remembered all of those dates--I looked them up :)

BTW Terri Wikipedia had Moonlighting listed as starting in 1986. I couldn't have remembered all of those dates--I looked them up :)

I only remembered because a momentus occasion in my personal life occurred the same week!

Thanks for the break, Ron, this was a fun quiz! Ironically someone at work was trying to remember "Who shot JR" the day I took this quiz.